Turn Off Ads?
Page 54 of 69 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Cincinnati Bengals Part 2: The Zac Taylor Era Begins!

Re: 2019 Cincinnati Bengals Part 2: The Zac Taylor Era Begins!

The Bengals waived DE Jordan Willis and are expected to sign LB Laroy Reynolds. I have no idea who the latter is, but it brings the overall roster into a little better balance if nothing else.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    The Bengals waived DE Jordan Willis and are expected to sign LB Laroy Reynolds. I have no idea who the latter is, but it brings the overall roster into a little better balance if nothing else.
    I thought Willis was pretty good. Another somewhat high Marvin draft cut by this regime

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    FWIW, if we're using this as our gauge...Andy Dalton is currently ranked 8th among active QBs in leading 4th quarter comebacks. He only trails Brady, Brees, Roethlisberger, Manning, Ryan, Stafford, and Rivers in that category. Below Dalton is Wilson, Newton, Rodgers, Flacco, Smith, among others.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    FWIW, if we're using this as our gauge...Andy Dalton is currently ranked 8th among active QBs in leading 4th quarter comebacks. He only trails Brady, Brees, Roethlisberger, Manning, Ryan, Stafford, and Rivers in that category. Below Dalton is Wilson, Newton, Rodgers, Flacco, Smith, among others.
    I'd want to see more data on that. The Bengals have spent alot of time playing from behind during his tenure, so he's had alot of opportunities. If he has 18 successful comebacks out of 48 opportunities and Russel Wilson is 12 for 13, which one is more impressive? I can't find that information anywhere, but, having watched every single Bengals game for the last 25+ years, I'd imagine that his conversion rate on 4th quarter comebacks looks much less favorable than his sheer quantity.

That's odd, I've watched most every game Dalton has played in also, and if they are in striking distance in the 4th quarter I actually feel pretty good. That's never been my issue with him at all.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

7. Likes:

Hillsdale87 (09-10-2019),Kingspoint (09-10-2019),membengal (09-10-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    That's odd, I've watched most every game Dalton has played in also, and if they are in striking distance in the 4th quarter I actually feel pretty good. That's never been my issue with him at all.
    Well, as I mentioned, I don't know the actual data. Maybe he's 18 out of 24 in such situations. Still enough to make you "feel pretty good" about our chances, but not as much of a "sure thing" as a guy like Brady. All I'm saying is that it's a very incomplete stat and we need more data to draw any conclusions from it.

Edit to add: Just as an example, Mahomes has ZERO 4th quarter comebacks in his career thus far. But that's because he's spent 90% of his time destroying the competition, giving himself very few such opportunities. If your team was down by 2 points with 1:00 left to go in the 4th quarter and you had to choose between Dalton and Mahomes to lead your comeback, who are you really going to take?
    Last edited by Larkin90; 09-10-2019 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Added stat about Mahomes

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I thought Willis was pretty good. Another somewhat high Marvin draft cut by this regime
    He was good against the run but the pass rush skills never got to the point where you wanted them...
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by tsdavis11 View Post
    I'd want to see more data on that. The Bengals have spent alot of time playing from behind during his tenure, so he's had alot of opportunities. If he has 18 successful comebacks out of 48 opportunities and Russel Wilson is 12 for 13, which one is more impressive? I can't find that information anywhere, but, having watched every single Bengals game for the last 25+ years, I'd imagine that his conversion rate on 4th quarter comebacks looks much less favorable than his sheer quantity.
    Umm no the Bengals have actually been a decent team during Dalton's tenure...68-51 overall record as a starter. And his stats are not half bad during that tenure...is he elite no...can he win you some games absolutely. Super Bowl if everything breaks right...I mean Rex Grossman went to a super bowl.

Bengals are stuck at a crossroads that many teams find themselves in, not good enough for a Super Bowl and not bad enough to get that franchise QB.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

11. Likes:

Hoosier Red (09-12-2019),Kingspoint (09-10-2019),membengal (09-10-2019),RiverRat13 (09-11-2019)

I would take Pat Mahomes over Andy Dalton in any situation, but I just don't know that means much. It's going to be a rare time that I wouldn't take a top 3 NFL QB to replace whoever the Bengals have. Maybe Carson Palmer before the injury? Before that I guess Boomer in his MVP season, but I was a little kid. And Mahomes is probably not just top 3, he's probably the best NFL QB period these days.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

13. Likes:

GAC (09-12-2019)

Well, as I mentioned, I don't know the actual data. Maybe he's 18 out of 24 in such situations. Still enough to make you "feel pretty good" about our chances, but not as much of a "sure thing" as a guy like Brady. All I'm saying is that it's a very incomplete stat and we need more data to draw any conclusions from it.

Edit to add: Just as an example, Mahomes has ZERO 4th quarter comebacks in his career thus far. But that's because he's spent 90% of his time destroying the competition, giving himself very few such opportunities. If your team was down by 2 points with 1:00 left to go in the 4th quarter and you had to choose between Dalton and Mahomes to lead your comeback, who are you really going to take?
    Certainly 4th quarter comebacks are not the best way to rank QBs. But I'll remind you that I responded to your post that "difference making" QBs like Brees and Watson put their teams in position to win at the end of the game. Dalton has been pretty good at that over the course of his career.

Again, no one is arguing he belongs in the elite category, but he's no loser.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

15. Likes:

GAC (09-12-2019),Kingspoint (09-10-2019),membengal (09-10-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I think Willis is pretty good, and he was solid in the preseason. But DL is for sure the strength of this team, so he was more expendable than others, even though he probably wasn't the worst player on the roster. Other guys on that line have higher ceilings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Likes:

Kingspoint (09-10-2019)

If your team was down by 2 points with 1:00 left to go in the 4th quarter and you had to choose between Dalton and Mahomes to lead your comeback, who are you really going to take?
    Respectfully I hate questions like these because they're so subjective, very limited in their scope. Because if you're going to give me a choice there's numerous QBs I'd choose from before either of those two. But the truth of the matter is, you don't have that choice (lol).

IMO, KC has far more overall talent on its team surrounding Mahomes then the Bengals do Dalton. And in my opinion that's on Bengals management.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

19. Likes:

Hoosier Red (09-12-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Respectfully I hate questions like these because they're so subjective, very limited in their scope. Because if you're going to give me a choice there's numerous QBs I'd choose from before either of those two. But the truth of the matter is, you don't have that choice (lol).

IMO, KC has far more overall talent on its team surrounding Mahomes then the Bengals do Dalton. And in my opinion that's on Bengals management.
    There's nobody I would choose over Mahomes. He does what Watson did the other night, but without the recklessness that leads to sacks and getting beat up. He makes quick decisions and can make throws that nobody else in the NFL can. He's unbelievable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prediction time...

Bengals Steelers:

1. Bengals down by 6, 1:30 to go, ball at the 20, Dalton under center. What happens? (You already know...)

2. Steelers down by 6. 1:30 to go, ball at the 20, Rothlesburger under center. What happens? (You already know).

... but yeah, Andy Dalton is pretty ok most of the time.

Yay.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

22. Likes:

Larkin90 (09-11-2019)

Stop feeding the troll.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Turn Off Ads?