Thread: Buying Altcoins/Bitcoins and investing in the stock market

Re: Buying Altcoins/Bitcoins and investing in the stock market

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    OR split your money like this:

40+ % into a total market fund/etf
    15+% split between a tech and health care fund/etf
    25+-% into a broad based intl fund/etf
    15+-% into a fund/etf focused on asia
    You can do that, but then you're vastly overweight in tech, health and Asia.

The total market funds already have those sectors and regions included at appropriate market weights.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

2. Turn Off Ads?

I put all my money in frozen concentrated orange juice futures. Got a feeling about this crop report....

4. Likes:

Raisor (12-08-2017),Redsfaithful (12-08-2017),wolfboy (12-15-2017),WrongVerb (12-08-2017)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    I don't think you understand how the bitcoin transactions have evolved. Yes, you would profit, just as the people in the article are profiting. But you would be making pennies each month because your hardware isn't capable anymore. You would need specialized hardware that uses tons of electricity to make a living, just as the article explains.
    To make a living? Yes. To actually come out ahead versus the electricity charge? No.

Unless things have changed dramatically in the last week, my system would generate, roughly $45 of profit per month when factoring in electricity costs.

Of course, mining other cryptocoins may be better at this point in time.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    This is factoring in electricity and burning out a video card every month or two?
    If you are burning out your video card that often, you aren't going to make it work. While that could happen, I haven't heard of it happening much.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    To make a living? Yes. To actually come out ahead versus the electricity charge? No.

Unless things have changed dramatically in the last week, my system would generate, roughly $45 of profit per month when factoring in electricity costs.

Of course, mining other cryptocoins may be better at this point in time.
    Have you actually done it? Because the guys spending tons of money on hardware would much rather buy a hundred of your setups.

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    Have you actually done it? Because the guys spending tons of money on hardware would much rather buy a hundred of your setups.
    That's not the point. Of course it's far more profitable to go in a different route than my setup. The point was that my setup can actually turn a profit right now. Not a big one at all, and the break even point to pay it off is about 225 days (including electricity).

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    You can do that, but then you're vastly overweight in tech, health and Asia.

The total market funds already have those sectors and regions included at appropriate market weights.
    Maybe, but isn't that subjective?

Yeah I saw that exchange and agree here. Diversifying in low cost index funds is first and foremost what’s important to me.

If you want to do so weighted more (not to an extreme amount) towards tech and overseas, have at it.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Yeah I saw that exchange and agree here. Diversifying in low cost index funds is first and foremost what’s important to me.

If you want to do so weighted more (not to an extreme amount) towards tech and overseas, have at it.
    Exactly. There's almost always more than one way to get things done.

Sure it is. But it's also just a flat guess if those tilts will over-perform.

The portfolio I referenced above in my very first quote was a Bill Bernstein portfolio earmarked toward absolute newbies, which Doug indicated he was. I don't follow those exact allocations myself (though I'm close). But if someone doesn't know what they're doing that's an easy way to beat 90 percent of investors while knowing nothing and spending about 15 minutes per year managing things.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

13. Likes:

dougdirt (12-08-2017),Will M (12-16-2017)

Sure it is. But it's also just a flat guess if those tilts will over-perform.
    Isn't that what has happened year in, year out (most of the time, at least), for quite a while?

The portfolio I referenced above in my very first quote was a Bill Bernstein portfolio earmarked toward absolute newbies, which Doug indicated he was. I don't follow those exact allocations myself (though I'm close). But if someone doesn't know what they're doing that's an easy way to beat 90 percent of investors while knowing nothing and spending about 15 minutes per year managing things.
    Imo, there is more than one way to do better than most, even if you're a 'newbie' and if you don't want to spend a lot of time on it. Your way is one way which WILL do better than most (just like kaldaniels and his approach, and mine, and so on and so on . . . (There's almost always more than one way to get things done)

What's most important is that people actually do SOMETHING (the biggest problem that people have made, including myself, is neglect).
    Last edited by redsfandan; 12-08-2017 at 10:08 PM.

Got an email from Coinbase (I had no idea I still had an account) basically saying when it crashes don't expect to be able to trade out on their platform immediately.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Got an email from Coinbase (I had no idea I still had an account) basically saying when it crashes don't expect to be able to trade out on their platform immediately.
    When did you get that email?

I did not get one.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    When did you get that email?

I did not get one.
    Just got it. How strange that I got mine hours after you got yours, especially since I actually have money there.

I got it at 7 PM.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Turn Off Ads?