Turn Off Ads?
Page 56 of 69 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066 ... LastLast

Thread: NCAA Football 2022 Part 2

Re: NCAA Football 2022 Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I don’t want them in CFP but trying to look at it from a neutral standpoint: they are 11-1 with their only loss being to undefeated UM with a top 10 win over PSU and solid win over ranked ND. There aren’t many teams with a better resume. There are 3, to be exact. USC has a worse loss.
    I disagree that USC has a worse loss. USC lost by 1 point in the final minute of the game on the road to a team that is currently ranked #11. Ohio State lost by 22 points at home to a team that is currently ranked #2. Overall, I think the USC loss is less bad than the Ohio State loss.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

2. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (11-30-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I could go on about this but I think margin of victory is being overplayed quite a bit this year.

All of OSU’s wins were by double digits this year. But that’s misleading as the Maryland game was down to the wire and PSU was quite a battle till the end.

But to counter - the UM game. OSU was “blown out” by 22 at home. But they led at the half and went into the 4th down 4. Indeed they gave up some big plays that resulted in a 22 pt loss but I do feel like the game was closer than that until OSU was desperate and Stroud threw a couple picks and the D gave up the big runs selling out.

So it goes both ways I suppose.

5. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (11-30-2022),goreds2 (11-29-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    I disagree that USC has a worse loss. USC lost by 1 point in the final minute of the game on the road to a team that is currently ranked #11. Ohio State lost by 22 points at home to a team that is currently ranked #2. Overall, I think the USC loss is less bad than the Ohio State loss.
    I watched that game, USC was not dominated, they lost a pretty close contest in a semi-hostile environment

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I could go on about this but I think margin of victory is being overplayed quite a bit this year.

All of OSU’s wins were by double digits this year. But that’s misleading as the Maryland game was down to the wire and PSU was quite a battle till the end.

But to counter - the UM game. OSU was “blown out” by 22 at home. But they led at the half and went into the 4th down 4. Indeed they gave up some big plays that resulted in a 22 pt loss but I do feel like the game was closer than that until OSU was desperate and Stroud threw a couple picks and the D gave up the big runs selling out.

If this is a reference to my post....or partially to my post....to be clear, I was not including margins throughout the season. Sure, you can make a case that the Michigan/Ohio State game played closer than 22 points, Michigan dominated every facet of the game in the 2nd half while taking the lead early in the 3rd Quarter and growing it throughout the half. The score was 38-23 with 7 minutes left in the game before Stroud threw the two interceptions. In contrast (per my earlier post, not in response to anything you mentioned), USC had the lead in their one loss the entire game and only lost the lead with less than a minute left of the clock.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

It doesn’t really matter if anyone thinks the Utah or Michigan loss is a “better loss”. USC is either going to have a second Utah loss or they aren’t.

TCU would absolutely have a worse loss and no better wins.

It shakes itself out easy this year.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    It doesn’t really matter if anyone thinks the Utah or Michigan loss is a “better loss”. USC is either going to have a second Utah loss or they aren’t.

TCU would absolutely have a worse loss and no better wins.

It shakes itself out easy this year.
    maybe, maybe not....lets say TCU loses to K State 35-34.....I think TCU is still in because Ohio State does not have a 13th data point. The committee has always insinuated that the championship game or 13th data point can be useful in elevating a team.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    maybe, maybe not....lets say TCU loses to K State 35-34.....I think TCU is still in because Ohio State does not have a 13th data point. The committee has always insinuated that the championship game or 13th data point can be useful in elevating a team.
    Yeah if it’s an incredibly close loss they might give it to TCU, but that’s still not how I’d bet they’d go.

11. Likes:

Sea Ray (11-30-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post

People are also seemingly forgetting about how Bama beat Georgia by like 16-17 points last year before the CFP. Nobody seemed to care about that.

But regardless, how many points does Michigan beat Utah by if we are being honest here? 30? Utah lost to Florida this year. A very bad team. USC is going to smoke Utah in Vegas. They are really not very good.

I think it’s more likely TCU loses to K State, and if y’all think a 1 loss TCU goes over a 1 loss OSU I’m not sure what to say.

The committee put the Buckeyes at 5 because they want an excuse to move them to 4. There would probably be 5-6 million more TVs tuned to Georgia vs OSU than there would be Georgia vs USC. Or how about Michigan vs OSU 2.0 in the CFP. The most watched college football game in history?
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 11-30-2022 at 12:22 AM.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

13. Likes:

Revering4Blue (11-30-2022)

The fly in the ointment of the Big 10 is OSU vs UM being the last game of the regular season.

Once traditional divisions go away we are looking at UM/OSU played 2 weeks in a row many years. Which will inevitably be a drain on the Big 10 making the playoffs.

I’m not one to want to mess with too many traditions but The Game needs to simply be shuffled back in with all other conference games.

Sorry.

Side note - we may not realize what we are asking for in inviting USC into the conference. Don’t say you weren’t warned.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...y-deadline-cfp

Oh and the Rose Bowl needs to play ball.

So what happens if both USC and TCU loses?

Does Ohio State and either Tennessee or Alabama get in?
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    So what happens if both USC and TCU loses?

Does Ohio State and either Tennessee or Alabama get in?
    To me it looks like they are setting up Ohio State and Alabama to get in if both of those teams lose.

JMO, UGA and Michigan should be in no matter what on Saturday. TCU should be in unless they are totally blown out by Kansas State, for example a 56-7 whomping would eliminate them. Other wise they should be in. USC obviously needs a win to get in. If they don't then I would go with Ohio State.
    Last edited by cumberlandreds; 11-30-2022 at 07:38 AM.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    They haven’t put them at 5 yet. That’s the AP poll. The CFP rankings come out this evening.

I do agree with your overall points. I think if USC or TCU lose OSU is in and they absolutely do not deserve to be.
    If that occurs then OSU, at #5, does deserve to be in there. The fact that they deserve to be in there though doesn't cloud my own subjective judgment that they'll get their butt's beat again. But we can't let our own prejudices and emotions over that game last week cloud sound judgment. OSU lost to the #3 team in the country. Yes, they got beat soundly, but it's still their lone loss. Alabama is not going to jump them because there's a reason the committee put them at #6 and not #5.

But it's really going to come down to how the committee views an undefeated team losing a conference title game. USC has won narrow games this year (twice) vs Utah. If Utah upsets, and gives USC their second loss - then that, IMO, would be the door for OSU to get in. TCU losing a close game may or may not. But OSU has "screwed" TCU before (LOL)
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Strictly hypothetical scenario ..... a rematch of OSU vs Michigan for the National Championship

Of course the chances are slim. But if there is that chance, and anything's possible, then how well do you think that rematch would sell/market nationally? It's like Halley's Comet coming around. Will Day get out-coached again, or will this be his day of redemption? NCAA and the media would have a field day. lol
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Strictly hypothetical scenario ..... a rematch of OSU vs Michigan for the National Championship

Of course the chances are slim. But if there is that chance, and anything's possible, then how well do you think that rematch would sell/market nationally? It's like Halley's Comet coming around. Will Day get out-coached again, or will this be his day of redemption? NCAA and the media would have a field day. lol
    It would be the most watched college football game in history.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

21. Likes:

GAC (11-30-2022)

Turn Off Ads?