Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Nats need an OF

Re: Nats need an OF

Just to be clear — if Reds trade Kemp it will still cost them dollars. Not saying that they can pass along the full contract in any trade. But given the $7 million and the possible off-sets from past trades the Reds may not be left holding the bag for too much money.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-16-2019 at 12:50 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Kemp just doesn't seem to me like the type of guy who will be happy playing against LHP two or three days a week and pinch hitting. Obviously the Reds took him and his contract as a way to move Bailey and not address a glaring need. I still think he is likely to be moved at some point to the right team and the Reds will eat the majority of the salary owed him to keep Winker/Senzel in the lineup. It looks like he has plenty left and whatever money the Reds saved could go to upgrades at the deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Because some people see Kemp as a threat to Jesse Winker
    Cool strawman you got there.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Cool strawman you got there.
    Calling it the way I see it. I think there are some fans who don't want Kemp on the club because they think he will take AB's away from Winker.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Calling it the way I see it. I think there are some fans who don't want Kemp on the club because they think he will take AB's away from Winker.
    Speaking for myself you can see that I put forth my rebuttal right after you said that.

If there is a logjam and a trade can be made to improve the club (and yes it would include dollars going the other way) Kemp would be the first guy to go for me. Schebler would be ok to be traded as well. I want to hold onto Winker and Senzel...and Puig is the best of all the OF...that’s why I would have my eye on trading Schebler/Kemp.

Not because I want Winker to get more AB. (This year)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Speaking for myself you can see that I put forth my rebuttal right after you said that.

If there is a logjam and a trade can be made to improve the club (and yes it would include dollars going the other way) Kemp would be the first guy to go for me. Schebler would be ok to be traded as well. I want to hold onto Winker and Senzel...and Puig is the best of all the OF...that’s why I would have my eye on trading Schebler/Kemp.

Not because I want Winker to get more AB. (This year)
    I don't have an issue with that. It makes perfect sense.

I just don't think there's a logjam, and I think there are some people (not you) who have an emotional attachment to Winker (for whatever reason) and want to "clear the deck" to guarantee that he has no competition.

I don't see them as competition to each other at all, but rather as teammates working toward the same goal.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

8. Likes:

jimbo (03-16-2019),Revering4Blue (03-17-2019)

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I don’t know, Griff, but on the face of things I disagree in part.

The $7 million, yes, seems like an outright payment of cash. But given the nature of the trade, one can clearly attribute it to Kemp’s salary. Take your pick, it’s in the eyes of the beholder.

But the earlier trades, as I understand, contained specific amounts payable from LA and SD toward Kemp’s salary on an annual basis thru 2019. Those payments may well have carried through in subsequent trades of Kemp including to the Reds.

Without the contract language, and the specific trade terms, I can’t be sure.
    I doubt that when a team agrees to kick in money to move a player, the dollars ever actually follow the player where ever he goes.

It would make zero difference to the payor, and there is no logical reason why the payee would want it structured that way.

It seems almost certain that Reds are on the hook for all of a Kemp’s salary this year, and the Dodgers sent $7M their way to help. That money doesn’t somehow attach itself to Kemp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. Likes:

HammerTime (03-16-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    I doubt that when a team agrees to kick in money to move a player, the dollars ever actually follow the player where ever he goes.

It would make zero difference to the payor, and there is no logical reason why the payee would want it structured that way.

It seems almost certain that Reds are on the hook for all of a Kemp’s salary this year, and the Dodgers sent $7M their way to help. That money doesn’t somehow attach itself to Kemp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    We’re not talking outright cash payments. We’re talking an agreement to “pay $3M of Kemp’s salary annually through 2019.” That latter type agreement should continue through 2019 even if the player is traded again.

The acquirer would want that payment obligation to follow Kemp’s contract because it’s an asset that increases Kemp’s value. No reason that asset should disappear on a subsequent trade.

When Kemp was a Brave, it was reported that he was being paid by “three different teams.” The Dodgers, Padres, and Braves. That’s the result of this type agreement. Business Insider, 10/31/17.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-17-2019 at 01:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    I don’t think those cash payments follow the player. They simply are an agreement to pay team X $ amount every year. So the Reds owe Kemp $21.5M in 2019. The Dodgers sent $7M in cash as part of the trade that the Reds can do whatever they want with. It works to bring down Kemp’s salary from the Reds perspective, but if traded he is still owed the remainder of his $21.5M less whatever the reds kick in.
    This is correct.

As of this moment in ST Winker isn't hitting MY weight and I'm a skinny guy. That may change and he might start hammering the ball left and right, but what if last year's injury ruined him or he just has a terrible season? Then what? Dump Kemp and keep Billy Hamilton 2.0 without the speed nor defense? I see a very good reason to keep Kemp this season unless he too falls off the cliff.

14. Likes:

Stingray (03-18-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    This is correct.
    One last article on this, from four days ago, Redleg Nation: “While he’s [Kemp’s] owed $21 million this season, the Dodgers and Padres are both paying a portion of that money.”

Very good article on the subject of whether Reds should trade Kemp BTW.

https://redlegnation.com/2019/03/12/...ade-matt-kemp/
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-17-2019 at 01:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Is it sticky?
    No, but I heard you can get two fives for a Finnegan.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

I'm pretty sure folks ain't gettin' their head wrapped around the fact that the Reds are only going to keep 4 OFs on their 25 man. Of course one will be Ervin, who I think deserves the chance to play - somewhere but someone else is leaving, whether to another team or to Luvul.

As John Wayne once said "which'll it be?"
    Last edited by Frank Robinson; 03-17-2019 at 01:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Robinson View Post
    I'm pretty sure folks ain't gettin' their head wrapped around the fact that the Reds are only going to keep 4 OFs on their 25 man. Of course one will be Ervin, who I think deserves the chance to play - somewhere but someone else is leaving, whether to another team or to Luvul.

Do not bet future children on this.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Robinson View Post

Ervin is not making the team.

Turn Off Ads?