Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The new Jake Fraley thread

Re: The new Jake Fraley thread

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Hitters usually don't like to adjust their swings too much when they get up to the majors. Their reasoning is that what they did was good enough to get there so they don't need to change.
    You release him and we would see how fast that lasts if he has a chance to continue in the majors. I know you can say that about many players. However here’s one that is actually being told what his issue is.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I think it was around now in 2019 when Aquino set the league on fire for a few weeks.
    Yep. Last time I was in Cincy/GABP.

Got my official, overpriced “Punisher” Tshirt to prove it.

4. Likes:

Roy Tucker (08-18-2022)

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

I could see a case for bringing both Fraley and Almora back. It's Senzel who I really want the Reds to move on from.

Aquino is just so frustrating. You see that power occasionally, and the arm in RF, and you can convince yourself that he at least deserves to be one of five OF.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    I could see a case for bringing both Fraley and Almora back. It's Senzel who I really want the Reds to move on from.

Aquino is just so frustrating. You see that power occasionally, and the arm in RF, and you can convince yourself that he at least deserves to be one of five OF.
    As a hitter, Aquino is similar to many other talented power hitters who have serious contact issues.

Eventually they often wash out. It’s not easy to correct.

Frustrating but not that unusual.

He has better defense than most, but we’ve seen this type hitter before and probably will again.

7. Likes:

malcontent (08-18-2022)

fraley will probably finish this meaningless season strong, tricking the reds into thinking he's actually an answer for a starting OF spot next year. if fraley is anything more than a platoon OF who plays against righties, there is a problem. something tells me there will be a problem.

9. Likes:

mth123 (08-18-2022),Roy Tucker (08-18-2022),UK Reds Fan (08-18-2022)

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    fraley will probably finish this meaningless season strong, tricking the reds into thinking he's actually an answer for a starting OF spot next year. if fraley is anything more than a platoon OF who plays against righties, there is a problem. something tells me there will be a problem.
    What are you supposed to do with a guy that finishes strong?

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    It’s a good thing the vast majority of pitchers are righties. The Reds need more OF period. I keep seeing Benintendi’s name thrown around. Imo he’s a bit of a BABIP mirage. Stuff fell in at the big outfield in KC. And it’s not in NY. GABP is more like NY.

12. Likes:

Mitri (08-18-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Hitters usually don't like to adjust their swings too much when they get up to the majors. Their reasoning is that what they did was good enough to get there so they don't need to change.
    Well he stinks so...

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    It’s a good thing the vast majority of pitchers are righties. The Reds need more OF period. I keep seeing Benintendi’s name thrown around. Imo he’s a bit of a BABIP mirage. Stuff fell in at the big outfield in KC. And it’s not in NY. GABP is more like NY.
    He's produced more WAR in 90 games with the Royal than the entire Reds OF (Senzel, Fraley, AA) for their career right now. I'd give it a try for 2-3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    As a hitter, Aquino is similar to many other talented power hitters who have serious contact issues.

Eventually they often wash out. It’s not easy to correct.

Frustrating but not that unusual.

He has better defense than most, but we’ve seen this type hitter before and probably will again.
    Most talented power hitters hit for power. Aquino hasn't this year. Playing a lot of games in GABP, he has 4 HRs in 44 games. His SLG is .293. Billy Hamilton has a career SLG of .326. I don't care how Aquino plays the OF, if he doesn't slug then he isn't worth a darn

As for Fraley, let's enjoy what we're getting and keep playing him. It's not like he's blocking anyone. We might as well hang onto him and play him into next year

16. Likes:

malcontent (08-18-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    He's produced more WAR in 90 games with the Royal than the entire Reds OF (Senzel, Fraley, AA) for their career right now. I'd give it a try for 2-3 years.
    My point was there very well may be better options on the market for nominally more. If Nimmo hits FA, I gladly pay him more than Benintendi. If Benintendi gives a nice hometown discount and the money will be spent elsewhere, then I go there. He and say Gallo on a bounce back deal would be a very Reds thing to do.

18. Likes:

HammerTime (08-18-2022)

My point was there very well may be better options on the market for nominally more. If Nimmo hits FA, I gladly pay him more than Benintendi. If Benintendi gives a nice hometown discount and the money will be spent elsewhere, then I go there. He and say Gallo on a bounce back deal would be a very Reds thing to do.
    Nimmo would be nice - doubtful he hits FA though. Conforto would be interesting on a short deal. Haniger is another option.

I agree that Benintendi just hast the feel of a FA deal that could fall flat in Cincinnati. Depends on the price I suppose.

Guessing the Reds get creative on the trade market for a starting outfielder and then use organizational fodder and Naquin/Drury type for the other spots.

I'd love to cut Senzel loose, though.

Agreed, I'd pass on Gallo but that's likely the thought process they will have.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

I didn’t realize how absolutely zero power Benintendi had left at this point. No interest at all from me.

I just recently saw that Fraley is from near where I live now. He certainly looks the part of most young and old men in that area with that beard he wears, I hope he sticks with the Reds as he could be someone to root for.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?