Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Walt interview (with Cunningham)

Re: Walt interview (with Cunningham)

Quote Originally Posted by PepperJack View Post
    Lots of times front office types and even players, and coaches will just give generic answers to placate the media, so that the can just go on about their day and not have to go into detail publicly.
    I get that, believe me.

But I don't think this situation, the finger-pointing at Votto specifically, merits placating. Unless it's something Jocketty believes, in which case I agree with others in thinking it's a real problem. Walt can't have it both ways given his responses.

The true cynic in me thinks attention on Votto is attention not on Walt. Which after his no-show last year may be his intent.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    It's a loaded question but I for one still don't understand why people believe one can hit a sac fly on purpose. I also don't understand why a player would deliberately make an out unless he is trying to put down a sacrifice bunt.

Some of you guys know minor league players. Some may know major league players. If you get a chance, could you talk to them and ask them what is their mindset when there's a runner on 3rd with less than 2 outs? Ask them if they are deliberately trying to hit a fly ball or are they trying to get a base hit?

This closest I've heard a player talk about this was during a game in 2010. Chris Dickerson was on the DL(surprise) and was in the booth talking when Bruce came to bat in that situation. The announcers asked Dickerson what Bruce would be trying to do in this spot, and he said that Bruce would be looking for something up, so that he could at least hit a SF. That getting the runner in was all Bruce was supposed to do there.

Here is the result of the at bat:http://wapc.mlb.com/cin/play/?conten...2Bbruce%2B2010

You can here Dickerson in the background.

It's a loaded question but I for one still don't understand why people believe one can hit a sac fly on purpose. I also don't understand why a player would deliberately make an out unless he is trying to put down a sacrifice bunt.

Some of you guys know minor league players. Some may know major league players. If you get a chance, could you talk to them and ask them what is their mindset when there's a runner on 3rd with less than 2 outs? Ask them if they are deliberately trying to hit a fly ball or are they trying to get a base hit?
    I don't think the issue is wanting Votto to try to hit fly balls, but not wanting him to be focused on working a walk in those situations. It really comes down to wanting him to be aggressive early in the count, as opposed to waiting for the perfect pitch, and if he doesn't get it, being satisfied with a walk.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

This closest I've heard a player talk about this was during a game in 2010. Chris Dickerson was on the DL(surprise) and was in the booth talking when Bruce came to bat in that situation. The announcers asked Dickerson what Bruce would be trying to do in this spot, and he said that Bruce would be looking for something up, so that he could at least hit a SF. That getting the runner in was all Bruce was supposed to do there.

Here is the result of the at bat:http://wapc.mlb.com/cin/play/?conten...2Bbruce%2B2010

You can here Dickerson in the background.
    OK, thanks. Now he said, "At the least" and that works for me. As I've said before, sacrifice flies are happy accidents. You're not trying to make an out as so many believe but you're trying to hit the ball hard so at the very least a run will score and at the very most, multiple runs will score. I doubt they are thinking, "Well, if I hit it 310 feet, the LFer can catch it and a run will score even though I made an out." What if you're 2 runs down? A base hit would accomplish both the dual purposes of getting a run home and avoiding an out.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I don't think the issue is wanting Votto to try to hit fly balls, but not wanting him to be focused on working a walk in those situations. It really comes down to wanting him to be aggressive early in the count, as opposed to waiting for the perfect pitch, and if he doesn't get it, being satisfied with a walk.
    Like I said, it's a loaded question. A better question may have been something along the lines of, "I asked Walt Jocketty if Price is up to the task of disabusing Joey of the notion that a base on balls is as beneficial as a run scoring base hit."

It's still a dumb question but it's less dumb than the original. I don't believe for a minute Votto prefers a walk over getting the bat on the ball to score a run. If someone asks Votto that, I'd like him to ask Walt or Price or whomever how to hit a sacrifice fly much less how to make contact. Because they have all the answers, evidently. Surely they can teach a former MVP and multiple All-Star how to make solid contact.

I do believe Votto prefers a walk to swinging at a pitch where he may not be able to make solid contact enough to get that run home. Would they prefer he pops it up or strikes out swinging over a walk? Sometimes it's a no-win situation. He walks but doesn't get the run home or he makes a non-productive out. He's a bum either way, I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I know Joe Morgan has always been on record as saying that the only thing he tries to do in any situation is hit the ball hard. He claims if you do that, in the long run, more good things will happen than bad. I tend to agree with him.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

7. Likes:

Chip R (10-25-2013),Old school 1983 (10-25-2013)

More gum flapping, and pointing a finger at the best player on the team. The problem with this team does not reside at 1B, or in RF, or really even in the pitching staff(aside from contracts handed to middle relievers).

6 of the everyday 8 have varying degrees of problems associated with them, and Reds Nation spends time arguing over the length of Superman's cape. Why do people have this burning desire to ask your stars for more?

I keep hearing Ohio State fans complain about Urban Meyer's clothing, and sideline demeanor, all the guy ever does is win. It strikes me how foolish their arguments are, but in Cincinnati we are still focused on Joey Votto. This is also foolish. Joey Votto is not going anywhere. You have 10 years to boo him for walking and not making an out.

Maybe, Walt should talk about his criminal disinterest, in improving his team. The only player to appear for another MLB team in a game, on the Reds roster was Zach freaking Duke. Essentially Walt sat around eating Werther's Candy, and playing Sudoku all season.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

9. Likes:

joshua (10-25-2013),redsfandan (10-27-2013),wheels (10-25-2013)

After that Walt comment about Sac Flies I would be OK if he were fired tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    I keep hearing Ohio State fans complain about Urban Meyer's clothing, and sideline demeanor, all the guy ever does is win.
    For real? Just goes to show you, no matter how well things are going you can always find something to complain about.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

So does everyone still believe the old school left when Dusty did?

13. Likes:

Always Red (10-27-2013),Revering4Blue (10-26-2013),westofyou (10-25-2013),wheels (10-25-2013)

For real? Just goes to show you, no matter how well things are going you can always find something to complain about.

I wish it was false
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    So does everyone still believe the old school left when Dusty did?
    Nope. I'm pretty convinced at this point that if one is singling out his best player and not the many offensive equivalents of a boat anchor on his team, one is part of the problem, not the solution.

16. Likes:

joshua (10-25-2013),membengal (10-30-2013)

Lots of times front office types and even players, and coaches will just give generic answers to placate the media, so that the can just go on about their day and not have to go into detail publicly.
    It's one thing to give generic answers to placate the media. It's an entirely different thing to throw your team's best player under the bus doing it.

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

I love the Redszone mind readers who think they know what Walt is thinkingnby reading into his mind. Just for giggles....what am I thinking now?

19. Likes:

bucksfan2 (10-28-2013)

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    After that Walt comment about Sac Flies I would be OK if he were fired tomorrow.
    Are you for real?

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin Fan View Post
    It's one thing to give generic answers to placate the media. It's an entirely different thing to throw your team's best player under the bus doing it.

We'll see what all comes from this, but I have a feeling it's not as bad as it sounds. Also Walt is not the one who brings up Votto's name, it was likely just a long couple of days, with air head radio/TV reporter all going WHAT ABOUT VOTTO? HE WALKS TOO MUCH!!! MORE RBIS!!!!

They likely just want to talk with Votto to decide and figure out why he felt a need to openly alter his approach. Is it the knee? Does he feel his power has lessened?

Turn Off Ads?