Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Miller & Morgan 'OUT' at ESPN's Sunday Night Baseball

Re: Miller & Morgan 'OUT' at ESPN's Sunday Night Baseball

Jon Miller is a legend, sad that he's not going to be on anymore, he made the broadcasts enjoyable.
    Go Gators!

2. Turn Off Ads?

I liked Miller's voice, a lot, but I don't think he's an all time great or anything. He would regularly botch names and facts and rarely correct them. It made listening to him a bit harder. I still like him, but he's not in the elite company in my opinion. Miller's pairing with Morgan though was such a staple. It's disappointing to see that disappear.

I didn't always agree with some things they said but I really enjoyed the team of Miller and Morgan.

Maybe it was because the Reds were so good back then but Curt Gowdy and Joe Garagiola are my favorite National Broadcasting team of all time.

I used to get goose bumps whenever I heard Garagiola open the NBC Game Of The Week with "Welcome to Riverfront Stadium Cincinnati, Ohio. The Baseball Capital Of The World".

I may be one of the few but I never really cared for Miller. I liked Morgan because he was a Red but I never thought his voice lent well to calling a baseball game. I think Morgan is fantastic when he is visiting a booth, not giving color to the game.

To me Dan Schulman is the best play by player announcer in the game right now. Smooth yet humble. He doesn't think he knows more than the players who are on the field or who have played the game. If ESPN went to Joe Buck that would guarantee I would never watch a Sunday Night Baseball game.

I liked Gowdy and Garagiola, as well, Ron. Kind of who I grew up with, although I lost a lot of respect for Gowdy in the '75 Series.

Sunday Night baseball has not appealed to me much, because the Reds never play on Sunday night. I have always enjoyed hearing Joe Morgan's insights but have never really liked Jon Miller much. Morgan was one of the smartest, instinctive baseball players that I have ever watched. He was a joy to watch, and I think his insights on the game are very good. Maybe he spends more time with the Reds now.

I'm sure Joe will be hired by the Reds to do games. Lord knows we need another broadcaster.

Kind of sorry to see this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Bobby Valentine? Are you kidding me?

He is just horrible as an announcer. Please someone get him a dugout job quick.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

I'm guessing both will be joining MLB Network by the end of the week. Miller is one of the best in the game, if not the best TV guy. Morgan can get a job anywhere else he wants.

I expect ESPN to go away from baseball on Sunday Nights. If not, Shulman and Dave Campbell do a great job on the radio.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    I'm guessing both will be joining MLB Network by the end of the week. Miller is one of the best in the game, if not the best TV guy. Morgan can get a job anywhere else he wants.
    Miller is the Giants TV PBP guy. He has a local gig.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Miller is the Giants TV PBP guy. He has a local gig.
    I thought Krukow and Kuiper were the Giants' TV guys. Does Miller do radio?
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    I thought Krukow and Kuiper were the Giants' TV guys. Does Miller do radio?
    Yes Miller does radio for the Giants.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    Yes Miller does radio for the Giants.
    I was close. My main point was that he does have a regular gig.

When was the last time the Reds were on Sunday night baseball? That might be the last time I tuned it.

Jon Miller is just a splendid announcer.....have to agree on that.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

I've always liked them both.

It doesn't bother me that Morgan isn't sabr-centric. He says plenty of other things which interest me.

And Miller is one of the all time greats.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

This is a little bit of a head-scratcher. I thought Miller and Morgan were great and do an entertaining and professional job.

Maybe ESPN is trying to get the younger crowd. Or maybe MLB Network wants to do their own Sunday night spotlight games. I dunno.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Turn Off Ads?